What you need to know when looking for a concreting contractor
Concrete is a highly durable material that is vital to the construction industry. It is used to form the base for structures such as commercial and residential buildings, and also used for road surfaces.
What to consider before hiring a concreting contractor
You need to be careful when working with concrete because this material is very particular when it comes to placement and mixture. Professionals such as contractors are familiar with the do's and don'ts of concrete, so make sure that you hire someone with the capabilities you need to do the job well.
Below are the different kinds of concreting jobs contractors typically work on:
- Concrete polishing - the process of polishing concrete to give it shine and a refined look for concrete floors.
- Foundations and footings - the utilisation of concrete to create a structure's foundation and the foundation's footing.
- Ground floor slabs - these are slabs of concrete normally used as flooring for structures such as residential buildings and sheds.
- Formwork - this is a temporary or permanent mould where concrete is poured in to form concrete slabs or pillars.
- External paving - this is usually your foot paths or driveways.
- Kerb and channel - digging and concreting of gutters or drainages
- Shotcrete - this is a construction technique where concrete is dispensed through a high velocity hose onto a surface. This is usually done on large-scale projects to hasten the concreting process.
- Suspended slabs - these are concrete slabs above ground level which needs to be pre-formed before using.
- Steel fixing - this is the utilisation of steel for structural support for any concrete works on large-scale projects.
- Tilt panel - this is a type of pre-cast concrete which is widely used as a structure's walls. Tilt panels are made by using formworks which moulds concrete to specified shapes and sizes. Once the slabs have hardened, they are then erected by using a crane. These are widely used on commercial and industrial projects as well as apartment complexes.
- Pre-casting - the creating on concrete slabs or panels on an offsite location and then transporting the finished product on-site to be installed or used.
- Decorative concrete - simply put, this is the utilisation of concrete for decorative elements.
- Polished concrete - hardened concrete which is then polished to have a smooth surface.
- Concrete stencilling - this involves the use of stencils to create different patterns on the laid-out concrete. Stencils are usually used in order to achieve having delicate or complex detail work on concrete.
Equipment used in concreting
There are several types of equipment used in concreting, including the following:
- Concrete mixers - gear used to combine cement, water and aggregates such as soil or gravel to form concrete.
- Concrete batching plants - these are plants for making big batches of concrete.
- Concrete line pumps - equipment used for transferring concrete by pumping.
- Boom pump - a concrete pump which is attached to a truck and it has an articulated arm (called a boom) that accurately dispenses concrete.
- Concrete cutters / saws - a specialised saw which can cut through concrete.
- Concrete grinders / chisels - these are used to grind or break down hardened concrete.
- Concrete vibrators - a piece of gear which vibrates and is used to remove trapped air and excess water before the concrete settles.
- Trowel - a hand tool used for smoothing out concrete before it hardens.
How much would it cost to hire a concreting contractor?
The cost of hiring a concreting contractor will depend on your specifications such as the type of concreting job they will be handling, as well as the size and duration of the project.
Are you in need of a concreting contractor? Our team of hire experts are here to help and give you advice on finding the right contractor for the job. You can reach them on 1300 550 434 or you can also send in a concreting package quote request online for some quotes from local contractors with PlantMiner.
We have a number of concreting contractors for hire from across Australia. Select your city below for quotes: