Everything you need to know about hiring a backhoe
A backhoe, also called a rear actor or back actor, is a piece of excavating equipment or digger consisting of a digging bucket on the end of a two-part articulated arm. They are typically mounted on the back of a tractor or front loader.
What backhoes can do:
Backhoe loaders are very common and can be used for a wide variety of tasks:
- Small demolitions
- Light transportation of building materials
- Powering building equipment
- Digging holes/excavation
- Breaking asphalt and paving roads
Backhoes deliver the power and precise handling you need when operating in areas where using larger equipment is not practical. Due to their relatively small frame size and versatility, backhoes improve construction productivity and lower your machine operating costs.
Often, the backhoe bucket can also be replaced with powered attachments such as a breaker, grapple, auger, or a stump grinder. Enhanced articulation of attachments can be achieved with intermediate attachments such as the tiltrotator. Many backhoes feature quick coupler (quick-attach) mounting systems and auxiliary hydraulic circuits for simplified attachment mounting, increasing the machine's utilization on the job site.
Type of backhoes:
The following features vary depending:
- Max digging depth: ranges from 7 to 17 feet
- Backhoe bucket width: 12 to 60 inches, capable of moving 2.5 feet to 20.25 feet of material
- Loader bucket width: available for general purpose, multipurpose, and side-dump loader buckets carry 1 to 1.5 years of material and up to 2,100 pounds
- Operating weight: 13,000 pounds to 24,000 pounds
- Horsepower: 14 to 15 feet with 68 to 107 hp and 15 feet with 127 hp or more
How much does a backhoe cost to hire?
The cost of hiring a backhoe will depend on the operating weight and digging depth you require. The length of the project and if you require an operator will also factor into the cost. Costs for hiring a backhoe will range depending on the type.
Are you looking for a backhoe for an upcoming project? Our team of hire experts will be able to give you some advice. Reach out to them at 1300 550 434 or by getting backhoe hire quotes online from local suppliers with PlantMiner.
We also list various backhoe hire suppliers from across Australia. Select your city below for quotes: