Everything you need to know about hiring an air compressor
An air compressor is a device that converts power, through an electric motor, diesel or gasoline engine, into potential energy stored in pressurised air (also known as compressed air). An air compressor forces more and more air into a storage tank, increasing the pressure therefore when the tank pressure reaches its upper limit the air compressor shuts off. The compressed air is then held in the tank until it is needed for use. The energy contained in the compressed air can be used for a variety of applications, utilising the kinetic energy for the air as it is released, the tank depressurised therefore when its reaches its lower limit, the air compressor turns on again and re-pressurises the tank.
Types of air compressors
Compressors can be classified according to the pressure delivered:
- Low-pressure air compressors (LPACs), which have a discharge pressure of 150 psi or less
- Medium-pressure compressors which have a discharge pressure of 151 psi to 1,000 psi
- High-pressure air compressors (HPACs), which have a discharge pressure above 1,000 psi
They can also be classified according to the design and principle of operation:
Applications for air compressors:
Air compressors have many uses including:
- Supplying high-pressure clean air to fill gas cylinders
- Supplying air to a submerged surface supplied diver
- Supplying air for driving some office and school building pneumatic HVAC control system valves
- Powering pneumatic tools such as jackhammers
- Filling high pressure air tanks
- Filling tires and producing air for large-scale industrial processes such as oxidation for petroleum cooking
How much does an air compressor cost to hire?
The cost of hiring an air compressor will depend on the type and size of the air compressor you require. The length of the project and if you require a wet or dry hire will also factor into the cost.
If you are looking to hire an air compressor and would like some advice on which air compressor to hire for your project, you can reach out to our equipment hire experts on 1300 550 434, or by getting air compressor hire quotes online from local suppliers with PlantMiner.
We have a number of air compressors available for hire across Australia as well. Select your city below for quotes: